Sunday, October 26, 2014

Reality Check

I've received some really sad news this weekend.  On Friday I learned a high school classmate has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.  We weren't terribly close but acquaintances and although high school was 16 years ago, most days it feels like just yesterday.  So when I heard this sad news, of course I automatically thought of the person and all my memories relating to the fun and good times in high school.

Then this morning a friend called to let me know that her husband has been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma.  He was admitted to the UAH one month ago, due to frequent falls.  Now after one month, a tumor has been found and he has been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma.  He started chemotherapy on Friday.  They believe they've caught it early and the hope is after 4-6 months of chemo and possibly radiation he will be transferred to the Glenrose to learn how to walk again.  This news is devastating and my heart goes out to my friend and her family.  They have a little girl, who is almost one.

Of course there are terrible things that happen in our world and in our own communities daily.  But when the news is close to home, it seems to 'hit home' harder.  My prayers and thoughts are with these two friends.  My heart breaks for them and I am at a loss for words.

This is a reminder to hug your loved ones tighter, don't sweat the small stuff and love like there is no tomorrow.  Because you just never know what tomorrow might bring.

xo

No comments: